Monday 3 March 2014

Busy, Busy Week!


Last week I hardly had chance to draw breath but it was full of fun and very satisfying. It was the beginning of a new session of classes and this term students are working on a choice of projects. Some are finishing quilts started last half term like Chris's Storm at Sea above. She pieced all the 169 blocks with foundation piecing on Freezer Paper! She'll be adding borders before it's quilted and bound.

Some students are making cushions in raw edge appliqué or pieced like the ones below:
My sample bunting cushion

Quick charm square cushion

Linda S make this lovely cushion with ribbon and fabric scraps
Another choice is a Churn Dash quilt using quick piecing. Here's a sample block I made using some gorgeous  fabric designed by Mark Hordyzynski called 'Birds of a Feather':
Some classes were a little quieter than usual because several people are on holiday but as usual the atmosphere was fun and friendly. It doesn't feel like work for me!

During the week I was also getting ready for my Pop-Up Shop day on Saturday - cutting fabrics, sorting and labelling notions and packing up all the fabric bolts ready to transport to the community centre. Luckily Saturday dawned sunny and turned into a beautiful Spring day and we had our most successful event so far! I managed to take a few photos of the fabrics before we opened the doors:




We had a steady stream of visitors keeping me and the helpers busy nearly all day. In the room next door the local quilt group served refreshments with home baked cakes and quiches and did a roaring trade too.

Thank you to everyone who came to shop and a special thanks to all my helpers, especially the cutting ladies and my other half who had to lug all the big bags of fabric bolts around, set up the shelving and serve on the till. I'm already planning for the next Pop-Up Shop day on April 26th with exciting new ranges of fabric due soon. Please follow my Facebook page 'Cotton Cocktails' for updates and photos.

There's no time to rest this week as my classes continue and I'm also visiting two quilt groups to teach workshops on Saturday and next Monday which will be great fun! I'll be back soon with more news.

Hazel

No comments:

Post a Comment